The situation in the province escalated further after Turkish President Erdogan claimed that the developments in Idlib were unfolding in Turkey’s favour, despite the deaths of three Turkish soldiers.
Some 33 Turkish soldiers have been killed as a result of an airstrike in the Syrian province of Idlib, Rahmi Dogan, the governor of the Hatay province, located close to the Turkish border with Syria, said.
Initially, Dogan said that the airstrike killed nine, adding that the injured were transported to Turkey.
After the incident, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan chaired an emergency security meeting on the current situation in Idlib, Anadolu Agency said.
The northwestern province of Syria has been tense since early February, as local militants intensified attacks against Syrian government forces.
- Turkish Military in Syria Fails to Prevent Vast Part of Aggression Against Russian Forces – Kremlin
Situation on Turkish-Syrian Border After 33 Turkish Troops Killed in Idlib
According to Turkish authorities, at least 33 Turkish servicemen were killed in a Syrian airstrike in Idlib on Thursday. The Russian Ministry of Defence later stated that the troops were among armed militants, who had been planning to launch a military offensive against the Syrian Army in the area.
The situation on the border between Turkey and Syria remains tense, after a Syrian strike in Behun that resulted in the deaths of Turkish soldiers. Ankara has promised to respond in kind, also urging to establish a no-fly zone over Idlib Province, which is the last stronghold of jihadists in Syria.