MOSCOW/ November 1/TASS/ The delivery of a humanitarian convoy to the Rukban refugee camp was disrupted because of a threat that it could be attacked in the US-controlled area, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Wednesday.
The convoy, carrying more than 450 tonnes of food and medicines, was due to be sent on October 27. “However, the delivery of the convoy was again disrupted over the threat of an attack against it within the 55-km zone controlled by the Americans,” Konashenkov said.
According to the spokesman, the dire humanitarian situation at the Rukban camp can be laid at the feet of Washington, who illegally occupied the vast Syrian region.
“The humanitarian crisis in Al-Tanf has been artificially cultivated by the US for several years with the goal of creating a permanent breeding ground of recruits from the refugees at the Rukban camp for the militant groups it controls in order to carry out recurrent acts of sabotage against the Syrian military and authorities in the adjacent areas,” the general explained.
The Syrian government and the Russian military have called on the US command in this area several times to provide assistance to the refugees at the camp. Several meetings with UN personnel and US representatives controlling the area had been held and all conditions had been created for sending the convoy, he said.