The Russian Ministry of Defense made a statement on Tuesday saying that civilians who managed to escape Aleppo report that terrorists are carrying out ‘intimidating actions’ not only against civilians but against militants who had decided to surrender as well.
Terrorists are blocking any attempts by civilians to escape Eastern Aleppo using humanitarian corridors, Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said.
He further said that civilians are protesting against terrorists in the Eastern part of Aleppo, where 11 protests have been held so far this week.
“There’s a growing resistance against terrorists on the locals’ part in Eastern Aleppo. This week alone, there have been 11 protests in the terrorist-controlled areas of East Aleppo,” Konashenkov said. He then said that people are desperate and are demanding the “Governing Council” to stop the looting of food depots. “Yesterday, at least 27 people were killed and hundreds wounded when terrorists attempted to disperse protest crowds in al-Amria and al-Fardus districts [in Aleppo],” Konashenkov said. He noted that in the last 24 hours alone, there have been spontaneous protests in four areas of the city: Bustan al-Qasr, al-Kalasa, al-Amria and al-Fardus, with around 1,500 people taking part in the protest rallies. “I’d like to stress that Russian Aerospace Forces’ aircraft have conducted no strikes in the city of Aleppo for 29 days,” Konashenkov said.
Syria’s war has been ongoing for over five years and has given rise to a number of terrorist groups, including al-Nusra Front and Daesh, both of which are outlawed in a number of countries, including Russia. Aleppo became the focus of the fighting when joint US-Russian mediation efforts collapsed in September and both sides resumed fighting.