Russian Defense Ministry Announced Cessation of Air Strikes on Aleppo

Russian Defence Minister General of the Army Sergei Shoigu announced the stop of airstrikes in the area of Aleppo

Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation

Today, the Russian Defence Minister General of the Army Sergei Shoigu held teleconference with the leadership of the Russian Armed Forces.

Issues of implementation of the State Defence Order and realization of 2020 Activity Plan of the Defence Ministry in military districts and the Northern Fleet were discussed in course of the teleconference.

Before listening to reports of the leadership, the Head of the defence department informed the participants about decisions aimed at situation stabilization in the area of the Aleppo city (Syrian Arab Republic).

“Today, strikes by the Russian Aerospace Forces and the Syrian Air Force are finished at 10:00 (MSK) in the area of Aleppo. Early termination of the airstrikes is essential for holding a “humanitarian pause” on October 20, 2016”, said General of the Army Sergei Shoigu.

According to him, it will allow to guarantee security of civilians leaving the city through 6 humanitarian corridors and to prepare casualty and medical evacuation from the eastern part of Aleppo.

“We apply to the leadership of countries influencing on armed formations active in the eastern part of Aleppo with a proposal to convince their leaders to stop warfare and leave the city,” stated the Minister of Defence.

According to General of the Army Sergei Shoigu, by the start of the “humanitarian pause” the Syrian troops will have been withdrawn to the distance safe for insurgents to leave the city with weapons through two special corridors: one – along the Kastello road, second – in the area of Suk al-Hai market.

“We believe that the Russian initiative is to promote success of work held by military experts from different countries, which starts tomorrow in Geneva,” said General of the Army Sergei Shoigu.

In accordance to the Defence Minister, the work is mainly aimed at dividing terrorists from the “moderate opposition” and their withdrawal from the eastern part of Aleppo. A group of Russian military specialists have already arrived in Geneva.

“Everyone who is really interested in the early situation stabilization in the Aleppo city is to launch real practical activities instead of political red taping,” said the Minister of Defence.

Russian Defense Ministry says strikes on Aleppo have stopped

18 October، 2016
Moscow, SANA

Russian Defense Ministry announced that Russian and Syrian air forces had stopped airstrikes on Aleppo from 10:00am local time (0700 GMT).

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, in a televised meeting with military officials, said strikes had been halted from 10:00 on Tuesday.

On Monday, The Russian Defense Ministry announced a humanitarian pause in Aleppo starting from next Thursday at 08:00 am (05:00 GMT) till 04:00 pm to allow the passage of the civilians and the evacuation of the sick and the injured.

Shoigu called on the countries that have influence over armed groups in eastern Aleppo to convince their leaders to stop military action and abandon the city.

“Everyone really interested in the fastest possible stabilization of the situation in the city of Aleppo should take genuine political steps and not continue shuffling political papers.” Shoigu said.

“Military experts would meet in Geneva on Wednesday to start work on separating “terrorists” from Syria’s moderate opposition,” Shoigu said, adding that Russian specialists had already arrived there.

Lavrov stresses on separating al-Nusra from US-backed factions in conjunction with pause of air strikes in Aleppo

Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov asserted the necessity of working on separating Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organization from the “armed factions” supported by the US and regional states in conjunction with the halting of Russian and Syrian airstrikes on Aleppo.

In a press statement with his Paraguayan counterpart in Moscow, Lavrov said the Syrian and Russian sorties in Aleppo stopped today as a gesture of goodwill, adding that this pause in bombing must be used by Russia’s partners to separate Jabhat al-Nusra and its affiliates from the factions that are funded, supported and armed by the United States and some European and regional countries.

He noted that this separation was promised since February 2016, but nothing has been done so far.

Lavrov pointed out that according to the outcomes of Lausanne meeting on Syria last Saturday, military experts would meet in Geneva on Wednesday to work on separating al-Nusra terrorist organization from the so-called “moderate opposition” in Aleppo.

H. Zain / Ghossoun/M. al-Frieh/H. Said