Al-Jaafari: The US Has No Intention to Separate “Moderate Opposition” from Terrorists

30 September، 2016
New York, SANA


Syria’s UN Representative Bashar al-Jaafari stressed that those behind shelling the humanitarian aid convoy of Aleppo are not the Syrian government but rather the terrorists and the Americans with their British and French allies.

Addressing reporters after a UN Security Council session on Thursday, al-Jaafari recalled that it was French warplanes that bombarded Manbej in Aleppo countryside, leaving 200 civilians dead, mostly women and children.

“Everyone should have now realized that it is the Syrian government that is fighting terrorism, and that it doesn’t shell civilians as those living in Syria are Syrian people,” he affirmed.

Neither does the Syrian government target humanitarian aid convoys “as those who did that are the terrorists and the Americans along with their British and French allies,” al-Jaafari added.

He made it clear that the matter is not that of establishing truce regimes in Aleppo for 48 hours or for a week because that is not the main issue. “The main issue is how to end this terrorist war,” he said.

Al-Jaafari criticized the way international sides and officials, including the UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs, deal with the situation in Syria being selective in placing blame on the Syrian government while turning a blind eye to the fact of the existence of ISIS, Jabhat al-Nusra and hundreds of other terrorist groups that have been created by the US’s allies of the Saudis, Qataris and Turks.

He went on saying that those sides and officials are keen to question the routes which the Syrian government has opened for civilians to depart from the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo, while they ignore that it is the terrorists who have blocked access through these routes and are using civilians as human shields and holding them hostages.

The Syrian Ambassador cited those sides’ continued assaults on the Syrian government and sites in the Syrian territory, referring to the US-led international coalition’s most recent strikes that destroyed two bridges in Deir Ezzor that had been used for civilian purposes by hundreds of thousands of locals.

He also cited the coalition’s strikes against positions of the Syrian Arab Army in al-Tharda Mountain in Deir Ezzor, stressing that these acts affirm that the US administration’s policy towards Syria is not about delivering aid or fighting terrorism as they claim.

He continued by saying that the US has no political intention to separate between what it calls “moderate opposition” and Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organization, as demanded by the Russians and Iranians within the International Syria Support Group.

He added that the US’s plan in Syria is to repeat “the worst scenarios” of what they have done in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Nicaragua, citing a news report where a German journalist met a Jabhat al-Nusra leader who acknowledged that the terrorist organization has received heavy weaponry from Western countries.

In response to questions by the reporters, al-Jaafari said some UN officials are responsible for supporting the terrorists and for hindering the reconciliations in Syria, referring to a recent incident in al-Waer neighborhood in Homs where a member of the UN staff encouraged the gunmen to not drop and hand over their weapons.

The goal of many countries is to prolong the crisis so as to bring down the Syrian government and destroy the state and spread creative chaos, said al-Jaafari, reminding that the recent cessation of hostilities agreement was opposed by the Turkish, Qatari and Saudi governments, and that 20 major terrorist groups in Aleppo announced that they would not adhere to the agreement.

It was these very same terrorist groups that attacked the humanitarian aid convoy in Orum al-Kubra in Aleppo, he added.

H. Said