Report of the Russian Centre for reconciliation of opposing sides in the Syrian Arab Republic (April 8, 2016)
General information on the application of measures for the reconciliation of opposing sides
Preliminary truce agreements with representatives of an inhabited locality of the Homs province have been achieved.
The total number of settlements, the leaders of which had signed reconciliation agreements, has remained 58.
Negotiations with a field commander of an armed opposition detachment active in the Aleppo province on joining ceasefire regime have been held.
The number of ceasefire application forms signed with leaders of armed groupings has remained 47.
Results of ceasefire monitoring
The ceasefire regime has been observed in most provinces of the Syrian Arab Republic.
Within last 24 hours, 6 ceasefire violations have been registered (Latakia – 4, Homs – 1, Hama – 1).
Militants of Ahrar al-Sham grouping, which had claimed to belong to the opposition, continued shelling with multiple launch rocket systems against positions of the Syrian army near Sandran, Shmaisa and Nekhshebba. One civilian was killed.
In the Homs province, Ahrar al-Sham militants performed mortar shelling against Tesnin from Umm Sharshukh.
In the Hama province, Jaysh al-Islam militants opened fire with multiple launch rocket systems against Handek al-Sharqi from Qalat al-Mudik.
Russian Aerospace Forces and Syrian Air Forces did not make strikes on armed formations, which follow ceasefire regime and informed the Russian or American Centres for reconciliation about their location.
Humanitarian aid to the population of Syria
In course of last week, medical workers of the Centre for reconciliation provided medical assistance to 186 civilians in three inhabited areas of the Hama and Daraa province, which had no medical establishments.
In Deir al-Fardis village (Hama), 74 civilians asked for medical assistance. All of the civilians received medicaments and a therapy for each of them.
Humanitarian convoys for citizens of the Damascus and Aleppo provinces are being formed.
Militants of ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist groupings (not included in the Russian-American agreement on ceasefire in Syria) continue performing armed provocative actions and attacks against civilians and the government troops.
Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist formations do not stop warfare in Aleppo and its suburbs. 18 civilians were killed and 61 citizen received wounds of different severity by mortar shelling performed by terrorists taking efforts to capture Sheikh Maqsood.
Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist grouping (up to 400 men) launched an offensive on positions of Kurdish units.
Within last 24 hours, the Russian Centre has received information from Fua citizens (Idlib province) about three mortar shellings from Binnish. One civilian was wounded.
8 April، 2016
Military source: Saudi terrorist Abdullah al-Mohaisini, one of the most notorious and dangerous leaders of Jabhat al-Nusra, was killed in a special operation by a Syrian Arab Army unit in Jabal al-Zawiya in Idleb countryside.
Five killed, 16 injured in Aleppo’s SheikhMaqsood neighborhood as opposition alliance from the Syrian Coalition currently shells civilian residents. (1:35 AM Local Time)
Syrian Forces Regain Control Over 500 Settlements in 6 Months
Syrian government forces have liberated some 500 settlements over the past six months and now control a significant part of the country.
AL-QARYATAYN (Syria) (Sputnik-Middle East) – Syrian government forces have liberated some 500 settlements over the past six months and now control a significant part of the country, the Russian Defense Ministry said Friday.
“Over the past six months, government forces and patriotic militia, supported by the Aerospace Forces, have liberated around 500 settlements, tens of thousands of square kilometers. A significant part of the territory is now controlled by government forces,” ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said.
He added that most of the Latakia region in western Syria had been freed from terrorists, as well as major parts of the Hama and Homs regions and the city of Palmyra.
According to Konashenkov, many settlements are not only being liberated, but also agree to reconcile with the authorities thanks to the Russian reconciliation center’s efforts.
“There are nearly 60 such settlements as of today, and another 20 are in active talks with representatives of the Russian center,” he said.
Syrian Democratic Forces, YPG, Prepare to Blitz Daesh in City of Manbij
The Syrian Democratic Forces, including the Kurdish people’s protection units (YPG), are preparing to launch a large-scale operation to liberate the strategically important city of Manbij, about 35 km from the Turkish border in the northwestern Aleppo province, from the Daesh (ISIL) militant group.
According to information received by Sputnik Kurdish from the SDF command, the operation, which will be assisted by air support from the US-led anti-terrorist coalition, aims at liberating the city, which serves as a major stronghold for the Daesh jihadists in northwestern Syria, and is an intersection of several major highways, including the M4.
The operation was expected to begin last month, but was delayed due to Turkish opposition, Sputnik Kurdish explained. Ultimately, Washington is believed to have pressed Ankara into accepting the need for the operation, and active preparations, including the delivery of heavy weapons, have begun south of the Kobani Canton.
Scheduled to begin later this week, the operation’s initial stage is aimed at the liberation of the city of Manbij and several villages near the town of al-Bab, to the city’s southwest along the M4.
In is expected that the liberation of villages around Al-Bab will eventually allow for the creation of a corridor between the Syrian Kurdish cantons of Kobani and Afrin, presently separated by Daesh-controlled territory.
Essentially, the liberation of Manbij and al-Bab would bring the anti-Daesh coalition closer to cutting off Daesh in Syria’s Aleppo province, thus slamming shut the porous Turkish border through which men, materials and weaponry have flowed into Syria over the past two years.
Speaking to Sputnik, Abu Leila, the commander of a detachment of troops from the Syrian Democratic Forces, commented on the details of the operations.
“To knock Daesh out of Manbij, we have created a structure called the Manbij Military Council. The Council consists of 13 members, all of them Arab residents of the city…Its main task will be to liberate the city from the Daesh militants. But we aren’t going to stop a Manbij; our forces will fight Daesh across the entire region.”
Manbij, Sputnik Kurdish explained, is strategically important to the Syrian Democratic Forces because it serves as a potential link between the cities of Jarabulus, Al-Bab, and the cantons of African and Kobani. In late 2012, Manbij was captured by the Free Syrian Army, before falling to Daesh in 2014.
In the past several months, the Syrian Democratic Forces were able to liberate the key town of Tishrin, along with the Tishrin damn, about 70 km south of Kobani, effectively cutting a major Daesh supply route across the Euphrates. The liberated town lies about 17 km from Manbij.
Russian Defense Ministry: Opposition groups involved in terrorist provocations in Aleppo
8 April، 2016
The Russian Defense Ministry said some groups of the “opposition” in Syria are involved in the terrorist provocative acts alongside ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra amid the cessation of hostilities, referring to the recently increased number of such provocations in Aleppo in particular.
Gen. Igor Konashenkov, the official spokesman for the Ministry, said in statements to the reporters in Palmyra on Thursday that there is information saying that the armed groups operating in the southern and western parts of Aleppo that had previously announced their affiliation to the opposition have put themselves under the command of Jabhat al-Nusra and have been taking part in provocations.
He added that the Russian coordination center in Hmeimim receives almost daily information that new groups of terrorists are arriving in Aleppo, an indication that they are preparing large-scale combat activities in the province.
The Russian air force, he noted, targeted terrorists who attacked al-Sheikh Maqsoud neighborhood in Aleppo city and forced them to retreat.
Dozens of civilians have been killed and many others wounded in repeated shelling of the neighborhood by terrorist groups positioned in nearby areas over the past days.
Turkish Soldiers Enter Syria’s Northwestern Territories
TEHRAN (FNA)- A 100-member group of the Turkish Army troops crossed the border from Turkey to Syria’s Northwestern province of Idlib.
The Turkish soldiers crossed into the Syrian terrorist-held province of Idlib form the Bab al-Hawa border crossing.
Winning back of the strategic town of al-Eis and its adjacent hill in Southern Aleppo was a crucially important step paving the way for the Syrian army to move to Idlib province.
The Syrian army and their allies managed to recapture the strategic town of al-Eis and Tal al-Eis during an intense night operation, military sources said.
Winning back of Tal al-Eis gave the pro-government forces the high ground in Southern Aleppo, which allows them fire control over the strategic Aleppo-Damascus Highway (M-5 Highway) that flows into the provincial capital.
With thousands of soldiers in the strategic towns of Al-Hadher, Al-Safira, and Al-Eis, the pro-government forces shifted their attention to the key village of Al-Zorba and the nearby ICARDA Farms that provide the government forces a gateway to regions Northeast of Idlib province.
The Syrian army and popular forces pushed their way to the outskirts of the ICARDA Farms, where they are currently engaged in a fierce battle with Al-Nusra Front, Jund Al-Aqsa, Ahrar Al-Sham Movement, Ajnad Al-Sham, and the Free Syrian Army’s “Division 13”.
Army, Palestinian Resistance Purging Terrorists from Handarat Camp in Aleppo
TEHRAN (FNA)- The Syrian army and Palestinian resistance forces started purging terrorists from the Palestinian Handarat refugee camp in Northern Aleppo province.
“A joint team comprising Syrian government troops and Palestinian resistance forces started their operations to win back Handarat camp near the town of Handarat to the West of the city of Aleppo and have already won back the camp’s workshops complex,” one of the volunteered Palestinian forces said.
The source also pointed out that the Syrian army and Palestinian resistance forces are fortifying their positions near Handarat refugee camp.
Meantime, other Syrian army units and Palestinian resistance forces have started purging terrorists from al-Shaher region of Handarat camp.
“If the Syrian army wins full control of al-Shaher region, the Takfiri terrorists in the Eastern part of Aleppo city will come under the army siege,” a Syrian army source said.
Different areas surrounding al-Mallah farms, Deir al-Zaitoun, Tal Msaybeen, Handarat camp and Khan al-Asal in Aleppo province have witnessed heavy clashes between the Syrian soldiers and rebels who have preferred fleeing far regions in order not to face Syrian troops.
In a relevant development on Tuesday, tens of Syrian army, popular forces and Hezbollah brigades along with hundreds of Iranian and Russian advisors arrived in Aleppo province to start a massive operation to recapture the provincial capital city of Aleppo.
The Syrian army, National Defense Forces (NDF) had sent thousands of soldiers along with Russian and Iranian military advisors to the Southern Aleppo front in order to begin a large-scale military operation to push the terrorists back from the remaining villages under ISIL’s control.
The Syrian army is preparing for massive offensive against the terrorists’ military positions in Aleppo province as large reinforcements would arrive in the region soon.
Meantime, Aleppo’s joint operations room in a statement asked the people to leave the regions where terrorists are present because fierce clashes will take place in the coming hours.
The Syrian army and its allies reiterated in the statement that hellfire will be waiting for the terrorist groups in all Northern, Southern and Western war fronts in Aleppo province in coming hours.
The army responds to violations in Aleppo, destroys many vehicles for terrorists in other areas
8 April، 2016
The army units and the Air Force continue targeting terrorists’ positions in various areas, leaving many of them dead and destroyed their vehicles and weapons.
Army and armed forces units intensified strikes against the terrorist organizations’ dens in the southern countryside of Aleppo in reaction to their repeated violations of the cessation of hostilities, according to a military source.
The source added that the strikes resulted in destroying terrorists’ gatherings and dens in Khan Toman and al-Eis to the south of Aleppo city.
The army units also inflicted heavy losses upon terrorists in personnel and ammunition after targeting their hideouts in Aran and Rasm al-Khamis Gharbi in the eastern countryside of Aleppo.
In Aleppo city, the gatherings of Jabhat al-Nusra and other terrorist organizations were destroyed during the army’s accurate operations in al-Rashidin neighborhood.
A number of vehicles along with all terrorists on board were destroyed in Dahrit Abed Rabbuh.
An army unit hit a convoy of vehicles for ISIS terrorists in al-Qassr village in the northeastern countryside of the southern Sweida province, according to a military source.
Some 7 vehicles equipped with heavy machineguns were destroyed and a number of ISIS terrorists who were onboard were killed or injured, the source added.
The source said that an army unit targeted an ISIS gathering to the north of Tal Ashihib al-Shamali, killing number of terrorists and destroying their weapons and ammunition.
The army’s air force destroyed positions and convoys of ISIS terrorists in Tal Dakweh and its eastern hills in Damascus countryside.
The army’s air force launched strikes targeting several positions and gatherings of ISIS terrorists in Jbab Hamad, Un al-Reesh, Rasm al-Taweel and to the south of al-Hayr al-Gharbi Palace site in the eastern countryside of Homs province.
The airstrikes left a number of the terrorists’ hideouts destroyed along with all the arms and equipment inside.
Today’s confrontations between the Syrian army and the militants “Daash” in Deir al-Zour
The army’s air force carried out sorties targeting gatherings of ISIS terrorists and some of their fortifications in al-Kassarat neighborhood and in al-Mrei’iyeh town and al-Jafra village southeast of Deir Ezzor city.
The airstrikes resulted in the destruction of positions and vehicles, some of them equipped with machineguns, and the death of a number of ISIS terrorists.
Field commander al-Dmeir Airport: Airport completely secure and performing its tasks
8 April، 2016
Damascus Countryside, SANA
A field Commander at al-Dmeir Military Airport asserted that the airport is completely secure and is performing all its tasks in the war against terrorism.
In a statement on Friday, the commander said that the airport is secure and no terrorist group has managed to approach it, asserting that the airport’s garrison is capable of repelling any attack on it.
The commander explained that some terrorist attacks were carried out on distant military positions and the forces defending said positions managed to repel them, inflicting heavy losses upon the terrorists.
“The airport is secure, operating at full capacity, and carrying out the tasks it is commissioned to perform in the war on terrorism,” the commander affirmed.
No official army statement yet on the fate of cement workers kidnapped by ISIS
8 April، 2016
Damascus Countryside, SANA
Military sources denied Friday releasing any statement on the whereabouts and fate of the cement workers kidnapped by ISIS.
“The Syrian Arab army has not issued any statement on the workers’ fate,” the sources stressed in a statement to SANA.
A group affiliated to ISIS terrorist organization kidnapped on Wednesday more than 300 workers and contractors from al-Badiyeh Cement Company- a closed joint-stock company located north east of Abu al-Shamat area in the eastern countryside of Damascus.
The workers are believed to have been taken to an unidentified place.
The company informed the Ministry of Industry that so far it has not been able to communicate with any of the kidnapped persons, a source at the Ministry said Thursday.
The Ministry will keep in contact with the company and the parties concerned to learn the place of the abducted workers and get to have them released, the source told SANA reporter.
Palmyra locals start returning home, Homs governor says services will be back soon