9 October، 2015
US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter announced on Friday that the US President Barack Obama had agreed on making few changes to the training program of the so called “moderate opposition” in Syria few hours after announcing that the program was cancelled.
“So we have devised a number of different approaches,” AFP news agency quoted Carter as saying at a press conference with his British counterpart Michael Fallon. Carter added, “I think you’ll be hearing from President Obama very shortly” on the program.
US administration officials said earlier on Friday in comments to New York Times Newspaper that the Obama administration has ended the Pentagon’s $500 million program to train and equip the so called “Syrian moderate opposition.”
A US official said that there would no longer be any more recruiting of so-called moderate Syrian opposition to go through training programs in Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates. Instead, a much smaller training center would be set up in Turkey including the leaders of “opposition groups.”