At least 11 people have been killed and dozens of others have been injured in a bomb explosion in the Syrian capital, Damascus, SANA reported.
According to Syria’s official news agency, the blast occurred in the central neighborhood of al-Midan, near a mosque and school, on Friday after a terrorist detonated explosives he was carrying.
The victims are reported to be civilians and members of law enforcement. Syrian TV blamed the blasts on armed terrorist groups, fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
The blast came hours after another explosion hit an industrial zone in Damascus. Activists say the blast rocked a state-owned transport company and caused a number of casualties.
The violence comes despite a UN-brokered ceasefire, part of the peace plan proposed by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan.
Since the beginning of unrest in Syria last year, scores of people, mostly security forces, have been killed in terrorist bomb attacks.
On March 17, at least 27 people were killed and 97 others were injured in two car bomb attacks targeting intelligence and police buildings in the capital. More than 28 people were also killed in bomb attacks against security compounds in Syria’s second city of Aleppo in February.
Nine Martyrs, Human Remains and Tens of Injuries in Terrorist Suicide Bombing in al-Meidan Quarter in Damascus
Nine martyrs and human remains is the initial death toll of a terrorist suicide bombing which Friday hit al-Meidan quarter in Damascus, including civilians and law enforcement personnel.
Tens of people were also injured in the bombing which took place near Zein al-Abidin Mosque and Aisha School in the quarter.
Interior Ministry: Suicide Bomber with Explosive Belt Perpetrated al-Midan Bombing
The Ministry of Interior said that a terrorist suicide bomber with an explosive belt blew himself up on the main road near Zein al-Abidin Mosque in al-Midan neighborhood in Damascus as worshippers were leaving the mosque, killing 9, scattering human remains of two unidentified persons and injuring 26 civilians and law-enforcement members.
In a statement, the Ministry said that the authorities headed to the site and took samples of the human remains to indentify the terrorist, adding that investigations are underway to reveal the details of the attacks.
The Interior Ministry called upon citizens to report any suspicious case and give information that they might obtain on terrorist activities, adding that it will not tolerate the armed terrorist groups and vowed to strike with an iron fist those who are terrorizing citizens.
Minister of Health Dr. Wael al-Halqi hailed the efforts exerted by the private hospitals, which hospitalized several wounded persons and provided them with first aid and medical care.
The minister also thanked the people of Damascus for the blood-donation campaigns made by them, adding that the public hospitals currently have sufficient supplies of blood packs to treat the injured people.
On January 6th, a terrorist blew himself up in al-Midan Quarter near Hassan al-Hakeem School. 26 persons were martyred and 63 injured.
On the 17th of March, two terrorist attacks were perpetrated in Damascus, one of them in al-Jamarek Roundabout and the other in al-Qassa area. The two attacks claimed the lives of 24 persons, 3 human remains were found and 140 persons were injured.
Earlier on the 23rd of December 2011, two security posts were targeted by two terrorist attacks, 44 civilians and law-enforcement personnel were martyred and 166 were wounded.
On the 10th of February, a law-enforcement department in al-Arkoub area and the military security branch in New Aleppo area in Aleppo were targeted by two terrorist attacks. 28 civilians and law-enforcement personnel were martyred and 235 others were injured.